Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

June 11, 2012


Truth

Five


                                                 
Went out without my little man again today as duty called. The thing I've come to realize, being a new mom, is that other people don't care nearly as much about the fact that I'm a new mom as I do. In fact, most people don't care at all - don't even know that I am. Of course that's true but it still feels odd to me. It feels odd because being a new mom has made me an entirely new me. I feel different. Because, in truth, I am. 

When I go out without my son the people who don't know me are none the wiser. They don't know that I'm a new mom, or any kind of mom. They can't see how my life has been irrevocably changed; that I am both softer and stronger, wiser and more ignorant than I was two months ago. They don't know. 

When I go out without my son the people who do know me ask after him, oo and ah over his picture, and politely query as to how I'm feeling. But they don't stand, as I do, in amazement. 

When I go out without my son everywhere I go I want to say, "Hold on. Let me just stop for a moment and speak some truth. I am a mom. I have a son - a little person who grew inside of me for nine months, who I birthed and am raising the best way I know how. He's a miracle, really. He's teaching me so much about life, laughter, and love at first sight. I care for him and love him in a way that I wouldn't have thought possible before. I am a mom."

But I don't, of course, say that. I just go about my day, smiling contently at the knowledge I hold in my heart and get back home to my son as fast as I possibly can. 


~M


Five… Wow… Do you know how many times I have heard the joke, “You do know what causes that, right?”  For the record, we are fully aware.  My husband’s typical response to that is, “Yes, and apparently we like it.”  Being parents is what I am certain he is talking about for those of you thinking otherwise.  J

Today I had all five of my children home and before they all scattered again to their various activities I asked them to help with some housework.  One by one they pitched in and then it happened, I heard giggles and belly laughs one after the other.  Not much cleaning was taking place, as throughout the house I’d find versions 1.0 and 2.0 horsing around (as my Mamaw would say) with versions 3.0 and 4.0.  All housework had ceased for fun.  Even SJ would giggle as they ran by. Sweetness!

I gathered everyone into the front room and snapped this shot.  I sent the picture off to Dad with a comment saying, “We love you Daddy!”  I sure hope it helped him get through another exhausting workday.  This picture made my day better for sure.  

I couldn’t stop looking at it. 

Five… Who knew? 

Five, Thank God!

I am so madly deeply in love with each and every one of them!


~A



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Indiana, United States
Molly and Amy have been friends and co-collaborators for years and now are parenting infants in tandem. Amy's baby, SJ, is her fifth. Molly's, BC, her first.