Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

June 16, 2012


The Only Stupid Question

Pay Attention
                    
They say the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. Nope. Untrue. The only stupid question is the one that I have heard, I'm not kidding, 600 times in the past 7 weeks. It's "how's your baby sleeping?" 

Seriously?! THAT'S what you're going to ask the mother of a NEW BORN?? "Oh gee, I dunno. He's sleeping like a baby, and not in the idiomatic sense of the phrase." is the response in my head. People want to know if BC sleeps "through the night". Well no, he doesn't. Know why? Because he's a NEW BORN. He went from getting nourishment 24-hour a day less than two months ago to having to take breaks. And his stomach is like the size of a pea or something. So he doesn't sleep through the night. He needs to eat more often than that. And even if he didn't need to eat that often it's really safer for babies to wake frequently. Lengthy stretches of sleep have been associated with an increased risk of SIDS. Really. 

Is infant sleep pattern really interesting to a huge chunk of society these days? Did I miss that somewhere along the line? Is my child's sleep a reflection on his goodness? On mine as a parent??

Maybe it's just that people don't know what to ask a new parent. Okay. I'll grant them that and in that case, here are a few suggestions:

"Do you know you're shirt is on inside out and backwards?"

"Is that spit up or cat food in your ear?"

"Would you like some wine?"

"Hey, good job with the baby raising."

So that last one isn't a question. It would still be nice to hear.  

If you're reading this and are a new parent as well, do yourself a favor and repeat after me. "My child's sleep pattern is not a reflection on him as a child or me as a parent." Say that over and over again to yourself. Say it aloud and, come to think of it, to others too. Enjoyevery waking moment with your little person and hey, good job with the baby raising. 

~M

Pay attention little man 
Listen and soak in everything you can

She’s beautiful, yes, and she is witty, wise, wonderful and has more love for you than you could ever imagine 

The lessons I have learned from her are immeasurable.

You see, I was her baby of five just like you are mine.  And I imagine she loves me as I love you, which is so deep and intense it cannot accurately be described.  I am sure that love for me has multiplied for you. 

So pay attention little man. 
Listen and soak in everything you can.

~A



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Indiana, United States
Molly and Amy have been friends and co-collaborators for years and now are parenting infants in tandem. Amy's baby, SJ, is her fifth. Molly's, BC, her first.