Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

June 12, 2012


Fluff

Words
                        
I've got a problem. I've got a fluff problem. For those of you not up on the lingo, "fluff" = cloth diapers. My problem is, I'm completely addicted. I'm addicted to the relative cheapness, the Eco-friendliness, the better for baby's skin-ness, and especially the total cuteness. Bright colors and adorable patterns cover my baby's bum and makes him look like one of those big-booty baby windup toys. You know, the ones that crawl with a "wiggle, wiggle, wiggle" of the pink bottom. Cute. Ness. And thus my addiction.

I simply adore the adorableness of fluff. Yes, cloth diapering is a bit more work and a lot more laundry but worth it for all of the good (see above). I've got a friend who bet me I will give up the fluff in lieu of sposies ("sposies" = disposable diapers) once BC starts eating solid foods. She thinks the solid food waste will be a big enough of a turn-off that it will trump my love of fluff. She's gonna lose that bet. For, you see, I'm addicted. And addictions don't end when the shit gets stinky.


~M
I’m not sure when it happened exactly, but at some point I became offended by language.  Yes cursing, but also negative toxic speak. 

I’ve always been the peacemaker so maybe that has something to do with it.  Or, maybe as a result of my past, it’s the subconscious fear of what can happen when that kind of ugliness starts.  I heard there’s a new study showing that cursing can release tension and might be beneficial to your health.  Yeah, punching someone in the face can release tension too, but I’m not sure it’s good for you.

I had the opportunity to speak to my husband on the phone on his lunch break and in the background I heard quite possibly every curse word out there.  “That’s how it is on the jobsite,” he reminded me.  Everyone sounded so miserable and I know he is affected by negativity all day long, so it doesn’t seem good to me at all.

This got me thinking about when and why people curse or aggressively speak.
  1. The obvious: to express an emotion: anger, discouragement, frustration, depression, a bad attitude or even excitement and happiness.
  2. Growing up in an environment where it is common language.  
  3. To fit in.  
  4. To make an intellectual point stick.  Yes, I believe a strong word can be used to make a good point when needed (ie: my co-blogger’s careful use today).

Sadly it seems the negatives of number 1 are the majority. 

There was an incident recently at a local congregation where a wee little one was spewing out hatred and the congregation was cheering that small child on. He wasn’t dropping “f” bombs but it was judgment and hate.  He learned that from the adults in his life, all of whom I have a few choice words to share.

Everything in my life boils down to what kind of an example am I being?  Is it one of positive influence and self control?  Trust me my kids have seen me mad and they know that anger, frustration, discouragement...etc are emotions we all experience.  It’s about how I express those emotions that matters.  I doubt I will ever feel okay with SJ or any of my kids cursing or certainly spewing out judgment and hate.  

Words have power!

Out in the world my kids have heard and are going to hear a lot of toxic talk but they will know that words have power and you have to use them wisely. 

~A



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Indiana, United States
Molly and Amy have been friends and co-collaborators for years and now are parenting infants in tandem. Amy's baby, SJ, is her fifth. Molly's, BC, her first.