Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

June 19, 2012


An Outing
I've Seen That Look...
                     
                                                                     
An outing for me, Amy, BC, SJ, and, oh yes, Amy's 4 other offspring as well. We all went down to Apple Works in Trafalgar, IN for some Indiana peaches, sweet corn, green beans, farm animal feeding, and fellowship. Amy's oldest, 1.0, brought his girlfriend along, whom I had never met. 

"Did you introduce Molly?" Amy wanted to know. 
"Yeah, this is Molly. She's... I don't know what to call you." said 1.0. 
Amy's daughter, ever helpful, said, "You can call her mom's friend Molly." 
He hesitated. "Yeah, I know but she's not just that. I mean, you've known me since I was *this* big."

That's right. I had. I had met Amy when she only had 1.0 and 2.0. The others were not even in production yet. And now, here was her oldest, an incoming junior in high school, introducing me to his girlfriend. 

I've watched these kids grow up. And it has been and continues to be my pleasure to do so. These are 4 of the best kids I know. And Amy and her husband are 2 of the best parents I know. So there it is. My secret reason for wanting BC to be best buds with SJ. Oh, I want that because everyone needs a best bud, of course. Being so close in age and knowing each other from their beginnings will naturally lend itself to friendship, I suspect. But really, I'm hoping to soak in every ounce of mothering mojo I can from my friend, Amy. 

So, 1.0, if you're reading this, how about calling me "mom's mentee" the next time an introduction is needed. It's a title I'll gladly accept. 

~M

I have been waiting for today for over a week!  I was so looking forward to seeing Molly and BC, not to mention I was very excited about getting some fresh produce from Apple Works.  Having older teenagers I wasn’t sure everyone would want to make the trip with me but sure enough it was an outing they didn’t want to miss. 

Of course nothing can be simple when it comes to getting the whole group out the door and I always seem to have a list that has to be accomplished before the fun can begin.  Finally we were on the road and heading to meet up. 

It was an afternoon of walking through the shady areas trying to stay cool while happily discussing the many adventures of our lives.  Versions 1.0-4.0 and 1.0’s girlfriend were off feeding animals and playing at a playground while Molly and I soaked in as much gal pal time as we could.  Quality time, not to be hampered by the occasional disagreeing siblings or even a medical emergency with a split open toe.   We’re mastering the art of multitasking together.

This is my favorite picture we took today.  BC is so at peace in his Mama’s arms (not to mention I adore the hat).  Many times throughout the day BC and I would lock eyes and I knew I had seen that look often over the years.  A look of depth and knowledge, peace and joy all at the same time.  Almost like he understands so much about this world that I, even in my forties, have no clue about. Yes, I’ve seen that look before for sure in his Mama’s eyes.  As a young girl it was clear she was wise beyond her years and had so much to offer the world.  I have loved our journey of friendship and am so thankful that we get to raise these boys in tandem!


~A



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Indiana, United States
Molly and Amy have been friends and co-collaborators for years and now are parenting infants in tandem. Amy's baby, SJ, is her fifth. Molly's, BC, her first.