Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

July 21, 2012


Home Birth
Cool Breeze
                            
                                              
BC and I headed up to Thorntown today for the Believe Midwifery Bazaar. Remarkable to see so many babies and toddlers - all the product of home births! I imagine Penny (midwife and owner of Believe Midwifery Services) must have looked around the room and felt such pride in knowing she was, in a very big way, responsible for that. I know I felt extra proud to be a home birth mom today. 

I have a friend who is pregnant and considering a home birth. Many times I have tried to articulate what is so wonderful about having your baby at home and I come up short every time. I was just so grateful to not be in a hospital. I got to be at home; home like a family should be. I didn't have to worry about people waking me up with bright fluorescent lights, lying in the petri dish that is a hospital bed, or keeping one eye open to make sure services and procedures were not rendered without my consent. Now I realize that I have nothing to really compare my home birth to; this was my first birth, after all. But the piece of mind that came with birthing at home truly was a gift.

I will forever be grateful to Penny and her team for helping me to have a birth I can be proud of and the beautiful work that they do for women, babies, and families. For my own selfish reasons, I hope my preggo friend does end up having a home birth. Mainly so I'll have someone to talk to who will have had that shared experience. That's what I got to do today. And it was great. 

~M

With so many blazing hot days we have all been experiencing a little cabin fever.  It’s too hot to go outside and play so we have stayed in.  After a tiny rain, the temperature dropped to the 80s and we found ourselves in our trusty minivan heading out for a bit.

One of the many reasons I love my fairly “new to me” minivan is because the back windows roll down so the kids can experience the freedom of country cruising with fresh air flowing. 

We turned on the music and took SJ for his first cool breeze drive.  It felt so good.  Singing voices, laughter and fresh air flowing as we drove.  SJ loved it too!

~A


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Indiana, United States
Molly and Amy have been friends and co-collaborators for years and now are parenting infants in tandem. Amy's baby, SJ, is her fifth. Molly's, BC, her first.