Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

July 22, 2012


Reasons
Blazing Hot
                      
                         

Here are but some of the reasons I'm choosing to breastfeed. This doesn't even touch on the emotional and psychological factors, or the fact that breastfeeding burns extra calories!

~M


One of the ways we have been trying to save money is through shopping and preparing food with weekly lists from emeals.com.  It’s a brilliant plan.  Each week I receive a meal plan for 7 dinners for my family.  We are trying new recipes and saving money, which is very smart and fun. 

Today I was thrilled to try a new recipe and invited some of our closest friends over for dinner.  I got busy chopping veggies and cooking.  I didn’t wear gloves while cutting the jalapenos and about the time dinner was done my hands started to burn.  About that time I itched my eye and OWWWWW.  In case you didn’t know, jalapeno oil burns when it comes into contact with your eyes.  Now normally I would wash my hands and move on scolding myself for not thinking, but with a nursing newborn I have to be even more careful.

SJ breaks out when someone with a lot of perfume or cologne holds him, so you can imagine how sensitive his skin is.  I was very concerned I would get the oil on him.

My husband and our friends quickly looked on the internet to find out how to get the pepper oils off of my skin.  FYI not everything you read on the internet is good.

Note:
  • Lemon juice (or any recommendation of acid to remove acid) will spread the oil and make a burn go from uncomfortable to BLAZING HOT.  My hands felt like they were on fire.  
  • Water: Um not so much
  • Milk: will provide cool relief.  The only relief I found was to submerge both hands into milk after washing them in alcohol.

Yes it was an eventful evening.  All in all SJ was safe from the oil.

Of course I wish I could say the same thing for my husband who kissed me on the forehead on his way out the door.  He quickly returned asking if I had touched my jalapeno hands on my forehead because his lips were burning.

Oops.

~A

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Indiana, United States
Molly and Amy have been friends and co-collaborators for years and now are parenting infants in tandem. Amy's baby, SJ, is her fifth. Molly's, BC, her first.