Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

August 8, 2012

A Fair Day
Food Focus
                   
                      
It was a fair day today. Okay, it was a hot day today but it was a Fair day in that we went to the Fair. I took BC to the Indiana State Fair in our new (to us) Beco Butterfly II carrier (LOVE it!). We met up with some friends and sat and listened to my mom and older brother perform in the pioneer barn. My husband joined us on his lunch hour (deep fried veggies... Mmmmmm....). We even visited one of the TWO lactation stations at the fair (way to cater to breastfeeding moms, Fair). We came home all sweaty and exhausted. BC nursed and napped and was still ready for bed at 7:30. A fair(ly) exhausting day, it seems. 

~M
Food has become the focus in our family this week.  We’ve been realizing that which we already knew but conveniently ignored, which is what we put into our bodies makes a huge difference in how we live.  So this week we made a drastic change in our home.  We pulled out all processed foods.  We are now only eating whole natural foods and meats.  The kids have been troopers about it.  I think they like the togetherness that is happening at the table.

I am finding that I am in the kitchen more than I am not.  Cooking three meals a day for 6 people from scratch is a full time job.  I’m guessing I’ll get better at planning and preparing as more time passes.

It won’t be long until SJ begins eating “real” food making it 7 mouths to feed and I want to give him the best start I can.  I made every effort I could with the other four providing the best nutrition I knew how, but as time went on I compromised for what was easiest in the moment.  Convenience food.  It’s nearly impossible for the American family to maintain balance with the demands of work, school, and the many other things that tend to take up our time.  At least that’s been my experience. 

So now food has become my hobby.   My most expensive hobby it seems, but certainly the most rewarding one for this family of mine.



~A



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Indiana, United States
Molly and Amy have been friends and co-collaborators for years and now are parenting infants in tandem. Amy's baby, SJ, is her fifth. Molly's, BC, her first.